Saturday, December 17, 2011

Kommune 1541

This blog has been an on and off again project for a few years. The blog is not monetized, but it is a lot of work. Lately, I've been struggling too much just to try to take advantage of the network tools that would allow me to reach a broader audience. I have been extremely disappointed by the recent decisions of several moderators, most notably on Reddit/r/gamernews and MTGSalvation.

Even worse, I find that the blog no longer feels like my own in many respects. Too many things have had to change in order to try to get the stories out to the public. I've talked to some degree about the problems of censorship on this blog and feel that it is always in the best interest of the reader to have some understanding of the constraints under which the blog operates.

I don't think people realize how much forum rules and network rules can effect off-forum/network activity like personal blogs and the like. Again, in order to take advantage of network tools, it is critical that smaller and independently run operations modify their content to meet third party rules. A great example would be the NSFW tagging at Stumbleupon or Reddit. My own blog, for example, no longer has comment abilities because it could offend third-party sites that I need in order to effectively communicate to wider audiences. A certain amount of self-censorship may also occur. As a result, censorship permeates the internet as people try to walk the line of expressing themselves and still being able to communicate.

This is a line I no longer feel like walking. This will be the last month of blogging on 1541K.

No comments: